Re: Debian AMD64 Archive Move

Ed Cogburn wrote:

>Wait a second, if you *aren't* Debian, it should be *easier* for you to
>provide non-free, not harder.  The only problem with non-free is the internal
>politics of Debian.

No.  Many (most?) non-free packages have a statement in their license
agreement that you are forbidden to redistribute them without the
permission of the copyright holder.  In order to offer users the
convenience of these packages (flash, netscape, nvidia-glx, etc) in deb
format, Debian went and got permission from their copyright holders to
redistribute them.  However, debian-amd64 is not debian, so does not
have permission to redistribute these packages.  We need to check which
packages require permission in order to make sure that we don't
redistribute those.

Looking at the Ubuntu archives you linked, they have very few packages
in the "restricted" (non-free?) section, probably because of this same
problem.

-- Alexander Rapp