Re: openoffice in chroot

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Clive Menzies wrote:

Well I'm not sure if this is proscribed practise but I installed cups in
the chroot ..... it works ;)

do you mean that you installed the package or that you actually run the service from the chroot? Both are feasible, of course. Given that disk space is relatively cheap these days, definitely cheaper than time anyway, I chose to have two more or less parallel and complete installation of sarge, 64 and 32 bits. The machine boots and runs all services on the 64 bit side, and anything in the 32 bit chroot finds all the executables and libraries seamlessly. OpenOffice detects and uses without problems the cups printers, even if the daemon runs on the 64 bit side. Easy to setup and maintain, after an initial effort in harmonising system uids and gids and, more generally, the configuration of all services.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                          (Freddy Mercury)