alsa-tools on debian amd64

I would like to install alsa-tools to manage my M-Audio Delta soundcard.

* This package is not yet available for Debian amd64.
* There is a Gentoo .ebuild package for alsa-tools for AMD64, I can't
find info on getting the source or converting ebuild to deb.
* I have alsa-tools working on 32bit Demudi partition, could or should i
use 32bit alsa-tools with chroot?
* There is alsa-tools package awaiting sponsorship for Debian by Mikael
Magnusson, I presume 32bit.

Basically clueless, I decided to try Mikael's package.

I d'loaded alsa-tools_1.0.8.orig.tar.gz from
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/a/alsa-tools/ .
Unpacked the tarball in /usr/local
Alsa-tools contains a number of different programs for different
soundcards. The program I need is envy24control for ice1712 soundcards:

pan64:/usr/local# cd alsa-tools-1.0.8
pan64:/usr/local/alsa-tools-1.0.8# cd envy24control
pan64:/usr/local/alsa-tools-1.0.8/envy24control# ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

I can post the output of config.log if needed.

I tried adding the URL for the source into /etc/apt/sources.list so I
could try using apt-build:

#alsa-tools 32bit
deb http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main

When I run apt-get update I get:

Failed to fetch
http://mentors.debian.net/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz  404 Not Found

This alsa-tools package is helpful to control a number of popular
soundcards. There are legal questions associated with the sister package
alsa-firmware that may be delaying alsa-tools acceptance into Debian.

Any ideas on how i can get alsa-tools working on my pure64 system?
Cheers,
Norv