Re: Future of the amd64 gcc-3.4/gcc4 archive - New archive location

Andreas Jochens wrote:

It has been announced that the debian-amd64 project will move from the current alioth machine to a new host soon. The amd64 gcc-3.4/gcc-4.0 archive will not move to that new host. Instead, it will be rebuilt from scratch with the newly released gcc-4.0 and reuploaded to a different project on alioth. This process will take a few days. During this period, the gcc-3.4/gcc-4.0 archive will not be available. I apologize for the inconvenience, but alioth
is low on disk space and consequently the old archive has to be deleted
before the new files can be safely uploaded.

The rebuilt gcc4 archive will be accessible in a few days at the following new location:

deb http://debian-ppc64.alioth.debian.org/gcc4 unstable main contrib non-free
Could you clarify - will/should things work with a currently installed gcc-3.4 unstable installation, by just changing this to be the new source. Are any apt settings, dist-upgrades, epic rituals or complete reinstallations required?

Also, will downgrading from gcc4 sid to gcc4 sarge work in a similar way as a switchover from pure64 sid to pure64 sarge?

Thanks for the hard work with the gcc-3.4/gcc4 archive. I've found it to be a very interesting test environment for compiling. The compile time differences compared to a standard pure64 setup are interesting, to say the least. I hope to continue having 1-2 test servers for this in the future as well.

/v\