Re: A new, unstable system, HW problem ???

On 4/25/05, jpahka@welho.com <jpahka@welho.com> wrote:
> I've found one oops in my syslog,
> but I'm not sure what caused this oops. But I was hoping someone here could
> maybe point out the most probable faulty component in the system.

I have found the Athlon64 to be very sensitive to memory settings. Try
the "standard" settings in the BIOS. Try disabling dual channel memory
access, or using only one of the two memory channels.

You can also try memtest86, but at least on my system it does not
catch all problems that I would attribute to the memory.

> And the only
> parts that aren't new in the computer are power unit and video card and I've
> tried two of each just be sure...

Don't assume that every new component is necessarily perfect. I could
also be that your power unit is not designed to have the CPU load on
the 12V rail. Check the rating, it should be at least 15A.

And SATA is another potential problem area. At least it is on my
system. Maybe it is just the cable, or maybe the controller has its
issues.

Thomas