Primary ide disk inaccessible

I have 4 sata, 1 scsi and 1 ata hard disks attached to an Asus A8N-SLI.
The primary ata disc (connected to ide0) is inaccessible:

NFORCE-CK804: 0000:00:06.0 (rev a2) UDMA133 controller
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: JTS Corporation CHAMPION MODEL C3000-3A, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

But later:-

Probing IDE interface ide5...
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 0 sectors (0 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=5824/16/63, DMA   <=======
hda: cache flushes not supported                            <=======

At some point when I was installing and running some sort of 2.6.n debian installation kernel, the problem was not present: this disc was mounted along with the others. But now with all the debian kernels that I have tried, and my own builds of 2.6.7.11, the disc on ide0 cannot be used.

There is a report with configurations and dmesg dumps etc here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lawrence_a_e/report.txt

Has anyone seen this or have any ideas before I report it on the kernel mailing list? (I have turned #DEBUG on in ide-disk.c, but I don;t think it is the ide driver itself: see the report for the reason.)

ael