Re: viruses

On (23/04/05 10:15), DR GAVIN SEDDON wrote:
> Hi,
> As I understand there are no viruses for Linux.  Can 'we' be carriers,
> why not, and is it worth buying software to detect and clean the hdd?  I
> am asking this because I have just opened a suspect email and I don't
> want to pass anything on to a pc user.

Hi Gavin

A Debian mail server can collect mail for windose clients and remove spam
and viruses before it gets to them.

Using the same packages you can do the same on a workstation.  I've just
managed to get spamassassin and sa-exim to take care of the spam at smtp
time - so as far as the sender is concerned they've mailed an invalid
address.   I'm now setting up clamav to take care of the viruses
attached to incoming emails (I'm just waiting for exim4-daemon-heavy to be
fixed in sid).

You should be able to pass the file to clamav to deal with but I've not
yet explored it to any depth.

A google search on: exim4 spamassassin sa-exim clamav

produced useful info

Regards

Clive

--