[Fwd: Re: viruses]

Sorry, forgot to CC the list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: viruses
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:20:47 +0200
From: Jens Vogel <jens@desktux.xs4all.nl>
To: gavinseddon@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi,

DR GAVIN SEDDON wrote:
As I understand there are no viruses for Linux.

Well, there actually are virusses for Linux. But AFAIK none active and
more proff-of-concept types.

Can 'we' be carriers,

Of course 'we' can be carriers! Just that 'our' systems cannot be
infected by Windows virusses doesn't mean 'we' cannot transport them.

why not, and is it worth buying software to detect and clean the hdd?
I am asking this because I have just opened a suspect email and I
don't want to pass anything on to a pc user.

In a networked environment with vulnerable computers: such an investment
will pay back.
For private use: you can try AntiVir fom http://www.free-av.com/
It is free of cost for private use and next to Windows it is available
for Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris.

Hope that helps,
	Jens

--
http://desktux.xs4all.nl/