apt wants to remove bash

I am having a problem with upgrading. Running apt-get upgrade doesn't upgrade most of the packages. When I run dist-upgrade it wants to remove a lot of packages including bash. Obviously, this is a problem. Usually I use synaptic to do upgrades which results in the same behaviour.

This has gone on for several days. Is there an easy fix for this? I think it is related to libc6. Should I risk forcing it (and possibly not being able to reinstall bash, etc.)?

dpkg -l libc6
-------------
ii  libc6          2.3.2.ds1-20.0 GNU C Library: Shared libraries and

sources.lst
-----------

deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main contrib non-free

# Marillat
deb http://cyberspace.ucla.edu/marillat/ unstable main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

# CInelerra
deb http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/athlonxp/ ./
deb-src http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/sid/ ./

Sample apt-get -u dist-upgrade run:
-----------------------------------

pitr:~$ sudo apt-get -u dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
base-files bash deborphan fetchmail fetchmailconf foomatic-bin foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db-gimp-print foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-filters
  foomatic-filters-ppds foomatic-gui gnome-desktop-environment
  gnome-volume-manager hal hotplug mailx python-foomatic udev
  cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client exim4-base exim4-daemon-light ffmpeg gocr
gpm gtimer hdparm hpijs hplip hplip-data kmenc15 libavcodeccvs libbio2jack0
  libc6 libc6-dev libcupsimage2 libcupsys2-gnutls10 libexpat1 libexpat1-dev
  libgeos2 libgpmg1 libgpmg1-dev libnspr4 libnss3 liborbit0 liborbit2
  libpostproc0 libsane libscrollkeeper0 libsmbclient libswfdec0.3
  libzvbi-common libzvbi0 locales login mencoder mozilla mozilla-browser
  mozilla-mailnews mozilla-psm mplayer passwd pkg-config samba samba-common
  sane-utils scrollkeeper smbclient smbfs swf-player vorbis-tools
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  base-files bash
54 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 20 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 66.5MB of archives.
After unpacking 51.0MB disk space will be freed.
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, do as I say!'
 ?]

--
Shawn D'Alimonte  shawnd@mycybernet.net