Re: Problem installing on nforce4 amd...

On (21/04/05 11:21), Thomas Steffen wrote:
> On 4/21/05, Lars Schimmer <schimmer@cg.cs.tu-bs.de> wrote:
> > I took the sid installer, btw.
> > But it couldn't install lilo or grub on my SATA HD on the asus A8NV nforce4
> > board. And without a bootloader linux won't start...
>
> Weird. You could partition, format and mount the HD fine from the
> installer? What where the error messages given by grub and lilo? They
> should appear one one of the virtual consoles, just try ALT-F2 or
> ALT-F3, where it gets you there (ALT-F1 brings you back to the
> installer).
>
> In my experience, grub often does not give a very clear problem
> description, and it also likes to hang for a few minutes. But Lilo is
> usually very fast and to the point. It may be that your partition
> table is corrupt, and Lilo doesn't dare to change anything.
>
> As a last resort: have you tried making a floppy boot disk? It is a
> long time since I have done that, and I don't know whether the kernel
> still fits on a floppy, but it is rather reliable way of getting a
> system booted.
Grab a copy of Debian from scratch:
http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/

Once you boot off it, you're in grub and you can boot your system.
Everyone should keep a copy handy - it's a rescue disk and live system ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...