Re: Re: ASUS A8V-E Deluxe working

On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 07:19:27AM -0700, James McEwan wrote:
> I have an ASUS K8V SE DELUXE...gave up the ide drives and boot from
> the SATA drives on the VIA chip VT8237. The 120 G Seagate Baracuda's are
> striped. I tryed installing WIN XP 64 bit just to see if i'd work but the
> the drivers on the mobo disk (i put 'em on floppy) are'nt compatible, so I
> assume the same will hold true for Debians installer, Although I did have
> Free BSD on the Promise raid controller with same drives and 2 other IDE
> drives and the BIOS set to the raid configurement, BSD "saw" everything
> Windows  couldn't, but that was many reformats ago. Will Debian "see"
> the SATA drives  or do I gotta install to an IDE drive and then install
> the drivers for the SATA"s? Now I read of the onboard Marvel Gigalan
> miniport adapter not workin with Debian.....any suggestions.....I can't
> do much without a GUI and this stuff sounds complicated!  ....James.....

Well as far as I can tell that board is very similar to the A8V Deluxe
(just different socket mainly).

So far I have no problems with the SATA controller in the VIA.  I do not
have the garbage proprietary software raid enabled, I use linux MD
software raid instead.  The promise 20378 controller I don't have
working yet (ft3xx drivers appear to be binary only so far).

The onboard gigabit works perfectly with the sk98lin driver on the A8V,
but perhaps yours uses PCI-e instead which I have herad causes some
problems.  The A8V does not have internal devices as PCI-e so it works
just fine.

Whatever you do, forget the board has onboard "raid" if you want life
simple.  Proprietary software raid has very little purpose unless you
run windows (which doesn't by default support software raid, so having
drivers do it is handy).