Re: Help choosing hardware

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 02:23:58PM -0700, Jacob Bresciani wrote:
> I'll counter the HP recommendation with Sun, their V20z (up to 2way) and
> V40z (up to 4 way) line are very nice machines are very reasonable
> prices, about 6K Canadian for 2 250 opteron's 2Gig of Ram and a pair of
> 36G SCSI drives. Plus the dual GigE and Sun's wonderful ALOM (Advanced
> Lights out Monitoring) support. All this and a 1U form factor too (at
> least in the V20z, the V40z is 3 or 4U I think).

People still buy scsi?  Why?  I can't find any good reason for scsi
anymore (unless running 15 drives on a single port is really that
important).  I guess external connections I could see, but there are
other ways to get access to external disk space too.

SATA makes more sense to me pricewise and can even be hotplugged (on
some controllers just like scsi).

SAS looks really neat, but I suspect it may be way to expensive too.