Re: basic biarch for amd64

(Unsure whether you want Ccs or not, but I haven't seen you around
here before so Cc-ing you.  Sorry if you're subscribed)

* Marc MERLIN

| > One of my machines is installed and administered as pure 32 bit but it has
| > a 64 bit kernel with 32 bit emulation. There is a chroot that has a full
| > amd64 environment (fully bootable, etc, for easy administration). However,
| > the amd64 environment only exists as a convenient place to inherit
| > libraries and the like for 64 bit applications. Such apps are installed on
| > the 64 bit side, native, and the 32 bit /usr/local/bin has a soft link to
| > a shared script that switches the environment over and execs the 64 bit
| > binary. Yes, I know, I'm lazy. You can do better with having that script
| > be changed into a compiled 32 bit C program that does an in-situ exec()
| > and therefore behaves like a multicall binary.
|
| that sounds a bit complicated, but indeed, I could install the 64bit
| userland in a chroot if necessary.

debootstrap is your friend; installing a chroot is one command.
Couple it with dchroot and a couple of bind mounts and you won't need
to be root to run stuff in the 64 bit chroot either.

| I'm starting to think that maybe I can get the amd64 libs I'm missing from the
| amd64 port, and copy them in /usr/lib64
|
| For instance, I'm hoping that if I download
| http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/debian-pure64/pool/main/d/db2/libdb2_2.7.7.0-9_amd64.deb
| I can just extract the content of lib in the package, and put it in /lib64
| instead and be done
|
| Does that sound like a reasonable hope?

Yes, that should work.  You'll need to track dependencies yourself if
you do it this way, naturally.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-