[SOLVED] disappearing fonts/pixmaps

On Saturday, 26 March 2005 11:28, David Liontooth wrote:
> Javier Kohen wrote:
> >From all the data you provided I conclude that the problem lies in
> > the video driver. I also estimate the likeness of my conclusion
> > being wrong to be very high.
> >
> >I'm afraid that we are not magicians, we just try to help each other
> >when we can. Have you tried a 32-bit system? Does the same happen?
> > Did you try the vesa driver for X?
> >
> >Good luck,
>
> I agree, this sounds a lot like a video driver problem. I
> don't even think the likelihood of this being wrong is
> particularly high <g>

Well, I thought the same thing, but I was mostly just trying to figure
out if it was that or just something dumb in how I had set things up,
so since I wasn't able to figure it out with quite a lot of tweaking
and experimenting, I thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced the
problem. =)

> I've used the nVidia drivers for years and I've seen this
> behavior. What's your card, and which driver version?

(Curious: you have seen this behavior? Or was that a typo, and you meant
you haven't?)

Anyway, at first I when I read your both suggestions, I was thinking,
"yeah, okay, so maybe it's the video driver, but nvidia claims to have
never heard about the problem, and I have the latest driver!" But,
turns out that a new nvidia driver came out a week or so ago, and had
the following:

* Added a workaround for an X server bug with PCI-E GeForce 6800 and
GeForce 6600; a fix has been provided to XFree86 and XOrg.

(I have a GeForce 6800 PCI-E.) Upgrading to the latest version of the
nvidia drivers both in my main system and in my chroot seemed to fix
it.

Now I'm happy, but curious what the "X server bug" that they worked
around was ...

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>