Re: lyx rather than openoffice

Sythos wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 11:39:23AM +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:

My problem, as other people, is document generated on OS mixed
network/pc/people. A great number of document find on network or created
by coworker are .doc/.xls. OO offer a single suite to open this format,
save in this format (and other.
Do lyx/latex same work?

Probably not. Although I have not used lyx (when I started with latex, I was told it sucked), latex can only open plain text files, as it is just a typesetting language "compiler". When this is said, I agree, that latex is great for creating academic reports/articles etc. The design facilitates a consistent look of the resulting work.

The reason why latex can not replace openoffice is that there is a lot of overhead when setting up a document. Besides, the only thing, that can be replaced by latex is word processing (the creation part). And maybe presentation, but I don't know that part of latex very well.

/Jacob