Re: Sata and Ati Xpress 200

Gmail wrote:
Well I have to say I find myself in the same hole. Tried many distros Mandrake, Fedora, Debian, Knoppix, Ubuntu, suse. They boot but can't find my hardrive, I think is the Ati xpress chipset. Any clue in where to get a driver that works or any other solution?

It's the ATI SB400 chipset. Will work with the SATA_SIL (Silicon Image) driver starting with 2.6.11 - no distro seem to be _that_ current to have the recently released stable kernel, so bad luck for a plain install.

You can still install with an IDE-ATA drive, compile a new 2.6.11 that recognizes the SATA, copy over and install a bootloader. Worked for me.

Till now only two of my four SATA connectors work for me, the 2nd pair has a different PCI ID than the 1st one - different controller? ;)

It works for now, but it isn't "pretty"...

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla