Re: libc6 install problem

On (13/03/05 20:14), Superuserman wrote:
> Clive writes:
>
> >After rebooting halfway through the install, aptitude started and went
> >through the intital download of packages but seemed to barf on libc6.
> >
> >dpkg: error processing
> >/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.2-ds1-20-amd64.deb
> >trying to overwrite /usr/lib64
>
> +++++++++++++++++++
>
> What is the installer type and date used here?
sarge-amd64-netinst.iso 11January05 (it is the same image I used to
install my production system)  Should I download and try the latest one
instead?

> What is the sources.list used?
I've tried both of these:
deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main
deb-src http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sid main

# deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/pure64 sid main contrib
# non-free
# deb-src ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/pure64 sid main contrib
# non-free

> This seems like an old problem that has already been fixed.
> Does the error say "which is also in package base-files"?
Yes

> I had to fix this on previous installs except not recently.
>
> 1. Check if there are links installed or make them by hand:
> 	/lib -> /lib64
> 	/usr/lib -> /usr/lib64
>
> 2. Try to force install the libc6 overriding the problem.
>
> 3. Be sure the sarge installer uses debian-pure64 and
>            the sid installer uses pure64 archives.
Aah! Should I be using the sarge sources list?  I don't remember doing
that last time.

> 4. Mount the partition from a good install and update the
>     files by hand. (this is a little more difficult)
>
> 5. Wait for somebody who knows the answer.
>

> Also, I think your MBR is corrupted with your lilo and grub.
> With DOS use "fdisk /mbr" if you can get at the disk. Then
> grub should install if that was the problem. There are ways
> to fix the mbr using various additional techniques I don't
> remember.
AFAICT Lilo has been nowhere near this machine.  The install did manage
to install grub on the MBR - it is from my production system that I
can't install grub on the MBR.

I appreciate all the help, thanks ;)

Regards

Clive