Re: Time drift in amd64

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 01:20:23 +0100, Carsten Prieß <carstenpriess@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:45:45 -0500
> Peter Nelson <rufus@hackish.org> wrote:
>
> > Bharath Ramesh wrote:
> >
> > >I just installed a fresh installation of amd64 on another athlon box.
> > >I find that the clock seems to be drifting by 8-10 seconds every day.
> > >Any idea how I can fix this drift. This drift seems to be large.
> > >
> > Just install ntp-simple and it'll keep you within a few milliseconds
> > off  official atomic time.  If it asks you were to point use
> > pool.ntp.org.
> However that are only workarouds? What's with Clients with Dial-up or
> without I-Net connection?

I have run NTP on dialup; as long as there was an ability to sync
occasionally, I could keep good time.

If you have no internet connection, and accurate time actually is of
practical importance, then it's worth looking into one or another of
the radio clock options.  See <http://www.ntp.org/> for documentation
on what it can sync against...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)