Re: Time drift in amd64

Bharath Ramesh wrote:

I just installed a fresh installation of amd64 on another athlon box. I
find that the clock seems to be drifting by 8-10 seconds every day. Any
idea how I can fix this drift. This drift seems to be large.

Thanks,

Bharath
I've noticed this on several other modern systems too, AMD and Intel. One contact told me that it's a frequent occurence in modern hardware. "It's a feature, not a bug" as we may have heard somewhere...

My solution, if you can call it that, is just running rdate in cron.daily. Considering it takes all the 10 seconds of time setting up, the solution is reasonable. Just install rdate with aptitude/apt-get, the command format should be self explanatory. There are also other options to time syncing, but I have found this to be a good combination of simplicity and functionality.

This might help:
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/time-servers.html

-Kyuu 'Vekotin' Eturautti