Re: SATA problem on Tiger K8W (S2875ANRF)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:30:07PM +0100, amel.kapetanovic@freesurf.ch wrote:
> I bought one Tiger K8W board. All seems to be OK, Knoppix and Ubuntu works
> fine, but I have a problem :
>
> I can't do that my SATA disk is 'seen' like a IDE one, how it's possible
> with some boards.
>
> Can someone please say me if it is possible and how to do it, or comfirme
> that is impossible?

Current 2.6 kernels access SATA drives as scsi since that is what they
are more similar to.  The old ide style drivers for SATA didn't work so
well and are no longer maintained as far as I know.

scsi access is the fugure way for SATA, so get used to it.

2.6.8 used on many of Debian's installer discs unfortunately fails to
find many SATA controllers that 2.6.10 finds just fine.  Not sure what
the current recomendation is for getting around that problem.  Check the
list archives for more info on this.