Re: RAID bus controller: Promise Technology, Inc. PDC20376 (FastTrak376) (rev 02)

Goswin wrote:

Hi,

I got 2 new SATA drives and pluged them into the onboard Promise
PDC20376 (FastTrak 376) and run badblocks on them (both in
parallel). The write test completed fine but read&compare locked up my
system.

I repeated with a read-only test and again it locked up with an DMA
timeout.

Does anyone have the onboard Promise successfully in use on an Asus
K8V board?

MfG
        Goswin

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Goswin-

Promise is GARBAGE for mirroring.

I activated the Promise RAID TX2plus in my ASUS AV8 Deluxe with one SATA and one PATA in a RAID mirror mode. The status was Critical for every reboot because the mirror didn't match and had to be rebuilt. This was in DOS not Linux.

The mirror mode is just a batch DISKCOPY upon command.

I initialized the mirror and FDISK showed only drive f: so the mirroring was active. I copied a file to drive f: and then rebooted without then rebuilding the mirror and turned the RAID off. There was nothing in drive g:! I turned the RAID back on and rebuilt the mirror and then went back to IDE and the file was then in drive g:!

Pure garbage.

The Promise mirroring is Garbage. Maybe Promise striping is better.

Does the AMD64 have enough power to use md with Promise turned off?

editor@postscript.port5.com

--
AMD Athlon64 @2.4Ghz Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL @480Mhz DDR ASUS A8V Deluxe ASUS Radeon A9250Ge/Td/256 Creative SB Live WD Raptor SATA Maxtor PATA IBM/Okidata Color PostScript3 Lexmark Mono PostScript2 Debian GNU/Linux debian-amd64/pure64 sid Kernel 2.6.10 XFree86 4.3.0 Xorg X11R6.8.2 1.5 Mb DSL