How to install Debian with AMD Opteron support?

As a newbie I want to try installing Debian on an dual-Opteron box that
I'm proposing to get.

I have no idea how to go about doing this - I'm currently running
Mandrake on an older box, so even installing Debian will be a new
experience.

I know there is an amd64 processor support at
http://alioth.debian.org.  I don't know how that differs with any other
amd64 code (such as this list?)

How do I go about creating install Debian CDs to support dual Opteron
processors?   Do I use the i386 CDs to install, then upgrade the kernel
via the Opteron code to support the full capability of the processors?

--
Rupert Heesom <rupert@heesom.org.uk>