Re: Big filesystems.

Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
Maybe the moral is you should use what everybody else uses.  ext2/3 and
to some extent Reiser are very well tested because practically everybody
uses them.  Major bugs in ext3 are readily apparent because it has
millions of users.  Major bugs in XFS are not found until one of sgi's
17 customers happens to trip over one.
Way more than 17 users use XFS. I know way more people who use XFS over reiser, because of all the reiser corruption bugs circa 2.4.8. Though now it seems it's XFS' turn.

By this logic, no one should use GFS, right, because only RHEL customers use it?

It doesn't follow per se, but it is a reasonable rule of thumb in general.

We switched to VxFS on EMC.  6 months later VxFS destroyed an extremely
large filesystem.  We were out of the mainstream.  Never been tested.
I dunno what platform you were doing this on, but VxFS on EMC hardware using Solaris is a mainstream platform.

Adam