Stable kernel for amd64 machine?

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting my amd64 machine running stable with recent
kernels. I was wondering whether someone here had advice or experience
to share; thank you in advance for any help.

It is a mono-processor Opteron machine, with an Asus SK8N motherboard
and two Maxtor 6Y120M0 SATA hard drives. The install is a 64bit kernel
with a Debian sid i386 userspace and a pure64 chroot. The latest
kernel that has run stable for me is 2.6.5; others I have tried (.7,
.9 and .10) lock up the machine if some disk activity happens (backups
or "find /" or some such): First, all disk activity stops, then after
a few seconds it says "ata1: timeout", and a few seconds later an MCE
exception crops up and the machine is totally locked up. Even the
"Magic SysRq key" doesn't work anymore. I have tried both
self-compiled kernels and binaries from the
kernel-image-2.6.10-9-amd64-k8 package, to no avail, same result. With
2.6.10, X (32 bit) doesn't even come up: It dies with a signal
11. 2.6.5, on the other hand, works like a charm and rock-stable for
weeks.

Any idea? Thanks.

--
Lionel