Re: Framebuffer and Kernel issues

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 22:26:40 -0700, SpikeyGG <spikeygg@hotmail.com> wrote:

(...)

> One of my problems is that I can't recompile a kernel and get the frame
> buffer working (using vga=0x318 with the boot options).  I find that using
> linux in a 1024x768 frame buffer is much more efficient than the 80x25
> default.  I've learned how to use grub (it's nice) and I learned how to use
> mkinitrd so that my system will load required modules before the kernel gets
> loaded to avoid panics; but I cannot seem to get the frame buffer to work.
> When I set vga=ask in the grub option and reboot to that entry, It asks like
> it should.  When I try 318 and the screen just goes black (system still
> boots, can hear disk access, and log in then reboot blindly).  I can choose
> 0 (80x25) and it'll work fine.  I tried compiling the VESA FB into the
> kernel (Y instead of M) and also with Console FB support and it still didn't
> work.  Now here's the kicker: when I use the precompiled kernel that came
> with the pure64 release and add vga=0x318 it works like a charm.  What's up
> with that?

I had this issue recently as well and could resolve it using these FB
options in the kernel config:

sk:~# grep FB /boot/config-2.6.10-050131-1
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
# CONFIG_FB_TILEBLITTING is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CIRRUS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_PM2 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_CYBER2000 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ASILIANT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_IMSTT is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VGA16 is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_HGA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_FB_RADEON is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY128 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_ATY is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE is not set
# CONFIG_FB_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_FB_NEOMAGIC is not set
# CONFIG_FB_KYRO is not set
# CONFIG_FB_3DFX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VOODOO1 is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL=m

My corresponding GRUBentry is as follows:

title Debian Linux AMD64 - 2.6.10-050131-1
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel (hd0,9)/vmlinuz-2.6.10-050131-1 ro root=/dev/hda9 vga=0x318

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn