Re: Re: Building a RAID system

Title: Re: Re: Building a RAID system

That's perfect… I got it working.  Last night around 11:30pm, I disabled the RAID in the BIOS and as soon as I did that linux RAID took over and worked.  I understand now the difference between the three types of RAID.

1.  Hardware, a specific card you buy (expensive) that has hardware for deciding what data goes on which disk.
2.  Firmware/Software, options in BIOS to enable raid just configure the RAID arrays and proprietary software running on top uses the firmware settings and makes the magic happen.

3.  Software, RAID controlled and configured completely by software.

I was screwing it up by trying to run half of 2 and all of 3.  Thanks for all the help!

-Greg