Re: Ubuntu with AMD64 Support

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 10:13 +0000, Daniel James wrote:
[...]
> I expect that's the case, but what happens a few years down the line
> when there's a fundamental disagreement? When I was a Red Hat 5.0

You can't predict the future - neither for $COMMERCIAL_DISTRIBUTION (God
knows what will be in 1 or 2 years with e.g. SuSE) nor for
$FREE_DISTRIBUTION (yes there were several which are pretty
out-of-business right now).

> user last century, I really bought the idea that Red Hat was a
> community-oriented company, and at that stage I simply didn't forsee

It was at that time.

> that the stable distribution would become 'enterprise only' with a
> price tag to match.

And see we what happens today: They pay several people (initially 6,
did't check recently) to work on Fedora.
And there is now also http://www.centos.org/ and
http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/.

Or to pose the question more provoking the other way around: What
happens if some company is selling support contracts to a Debian
fork/clone/copy/... with a completely different brand (but using more or
less the standard .debs with s/Debian/$BRAND/)?

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services