Re: installing 32b debian on unused partition

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 08:50:17PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a small bit of advice: If you've never done this before you might be
> better of just using the installer.
>
> It's quite a bit from a chroot to a fully bootable 32bit system and
> you probably need many reboots to try&error out all the little
> things. So unless you are intrested in doing this and not just the
> result just use the installer.
>
> That aside you can of cause reuse tmp and swap and home. Just make
> sure you don't format home in the installer. If you decide to go via
> (c)debootstrap then just create the mountpoints, mount the partitions
> (--bind) and then run (c)debootstrap and create your fstab and users.
>
> If you want to share /home the users in both systems must match so
> create them in the right order or copy the entries over from one to
> the other. The rest is straight forward.
>
> MfG
>         Goswin
>
> PS: Why do you have a /tmp partition an not just a tmpfs (and an
> acordingly larger swap)?

Hi,
The reason I have /tmp and not tmps is until your message I'd never
heard of tmps before.  I googled around a bit and tmpfs looks
interesting; unfortunately I've already partioned the disk and don't
want to reformat it to get a larger swap.

One reason I'm interested in not using the installer is because I
am concerned about erasing too much when I use the installer.  I
really don't want to accidentally reformat the disk or make pure64
unbootable.

Thanks for the hint about /home and the users,

Ric