Re: filesystem and x86 vs. x86_64 benchmarking...

> Assume it takes at least twice. It's more like 4 times what you might be
> used to. Some of that could just be the newer gcc/g++ version than what
> I'm used to though.

Yikes, I'd need 4G of memory then.  I can't afford that!

> But hey, compile once, run many times. And most things Debian compiles
> for you.

Obviously as a developer one compiles a lot.  But I do like that Debian has
binary packages, that's for sure.

> How much memory do you actualy have? If you compile a lot I wouldn't
> recommend anything below 1Gb.

I've got 1Gb.  That has been fine on x86 and it was relatively affordable.
(The machine I'm upgrading only had 512M.)  One downside of the small form
factor machine is that there are only two memory sockets so it would take
1G DIMMs to go higher.  Currently there is a premium for anything over
512M...

Later,
	Dale
--