du reporting errors on fat volumes & samba shares

I have been seeing problems with du on fat volues and samba shares. This isn't amd64 specific (it occurs on a x86 system & on an amd64 system), but I am only on this list.

running du -h on a vfat volume or samba share intermittently returns

du 'xxxx': No such file or directory

for random directories. Running the command aain will return similar results, but will usually error on different directories. running the command a few times seems to cache the results & it stops erroring.

Has anyone else seen this? Could anyone test this with fat/samba volumes?

This may not only be with fat & samba, but it is the only volumes I have seen it on.

Nick