Re: how does binary-amd64 work?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:21:46PM +0100, Egon Willighagen wrote:
> I tried to install the deb for Jmol today from [1] which is Java software, so
> with my amd64 JVM (Blackdown) should work... so entered the apt sources
>
>   deb http://debian.wgdd.de/debian testing main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://debian.wgdd.de/debian testing main contrib non-free
>
> and did apt-get update...
>
> But, this fails with messages like:
>
> W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.wgdd.de testing/main
> Packages
> (/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.wgdd.de_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
> - stat (2 No such file or directory)
>
> What is the problem here? Isn't the binary-all in the repository good enough?
> Is there a reason why binary-amd64 should be present too?

The Packages file is architecture specific, and there is no Packages
file for binary-all, only for the architecture, which then includes
binary-all packages in its list.  So even if every package is binary-all
on that site, it still needs a Packages file for each architecture for
it to be accessible by those.

At least that is how I have understood the packaging system to work.

Besides the current pool layout of Debian doesn't even have a binary-all
dir anymore, since all packages are stored in pool instead sorted by
source package name.