Re: The non-existent unofficial sarge for amd64

Hi Goswin!

 GvB> Small update. Q did build a few new packages but he didn't override
 GvB> the distribution to testing in the changes file and the packages ended
 GvB> up in sid. The sid->sarge propagation (see below) should take care of
 GvB> that at some point so I keep them as is as testcases.

 KR> Goswin seems to be rather sick at the moment.  You will have to
 KR> wait until he's back.
 >>
 KR> I can't do anything about this until he's back.
 >>
 >> Another week has gone, and still no update of /debian-pure64
 >> testing. Is the "unofficial sarge for amd64" dead?
 >>
 >> Is the whole amd64 port of debian dependent of one person (Goswin)???

 GvB> As for the sarge port, yes, everything is waiting for me and I'm sorry
 GvB> for the delay.

OK, I didn't realize that it was a manual process to move packets from
sid to sarge for amd64. I thought it was an automated process as for
the official debian architectures.

 GvB> But the debian amd64 port is far more than the sarge port and both
 GvB> pure64 sid and the gcc-3.4/4.0 build repository are fully staffed and
 GvB> working.

 GvB> If you are specifically interested in getting sarge more in sync with
 GvB> the official sarge you can join the team and familarize yourself with
 GvB> the existing software and help script the missing bits and pieces.

 GvB> What I'm currently stuck on is getting packages build for sid to
 GvB> progress into sarge when they do in the official sarge but only if
 GvB> that doesn't break our sarge. If you want to help out there you should
 GvB> be familiar with Packages/Sources file syntax and graph theory.

OK, if I understand this right is the problem that some packages
entering the official debian sarge don't work on amd64, and that in
turn should prevent other packages from entering amd64 sarge due to
dependences. Is that right?

/debian-pure64 sid seems to be quite up-to-date with official
debian, so I don't understand your problem: "stuck on is getting
packages build for sid to progress into sarge when they do in the
official sarge". Isn't the amd64 packages built automaticly from the
src-packages??? Or are there some packages that still isn't ported to
amd64 correctly and need manual attention? In that case can I probably
help somewhat. Just tell me what package I should take a look at.

/ Anders