Re: apt wants to remove 526 packages!!?

I've seen this before when apt hits a broken package or a package that
depends something that is not in the "lists" yet. cups or one of it's
libs did it last time to me, tried to make me remove kde and all it's
packages. Easiest solution is to only update the specific packages that
need to be updated and hold off on the dist-upgrade until the package
maintainer gets time to update the broken/missing package.

Any warnings about missing/broken packages?

Did you change your sources.list at all since the last update or install
any experimental packages? Are you runnnig sid or sarge?