Re: Motherboard Report: Asus AV8-Deluxe (K8T800Pro)

Steve McIntyre wrote:
Tony Mancill wrote:

So basically, everything works hardware-wise, although there are some
problems that are preventing me from running box as my primary desktop.
The box is very fast when it can focus on a single task (e.g. MP3 encoding
a 4 minute audio track with lame at 256 bits takes about 15 seconds).  But
if you get it busy doing something else, performance drops off badly - in
fact it's far below that of the dual 1GHz PIII system I'm migrating from.

I'm currently running pure64 w/Debian's 2.6.10 kernel.  Does anyone know
if this setup might pay a high penalty for context switches?

That's very odd. I'm using my own locally-compiled 2.6.9 at the moment
rather than the Debian kernel, but my system has no problem at all
running multiple high-cpu tasks in parallel.

Thanks for the info. I've dropped back to an i386 install as a sanity check for the hardware, and everything is running as expected. (But it's quite a different setup - the 2.4.27-k7 kernel, etc.) I'm getting the idea that it might have to do with DMA support for my ATAPI CD-RW; my "something else" tasks are usually things like using cdparanoia or watching a DVD w/Mplayer.

Do you mind telling me if you're running pure64 or gcc-3.4? Also, any chance you might share you .config for 2.6.9?

Thanks,
tony
--

Q: How many Bell Labs Vice Presidents does it take to change a light bulb?
A: That's proprietary information.  Answer available from AT&T on payment