howto comments

Hi all,

first of all: great job, many thanx for all efforts. I had the amd64 port
running in two hours, including downloading and burning the 145MB install
disk.

Ok, today I've installed chroot according to the HOWTO, and this mostly
worked. I found a few things different from the HOWTO, so wanted to share
that with you (hoping it is useful):

- in the section "Installing a Debian IA32 chroot system" I found that there
was no need to do:

cd /lib
ln -s /var/chroot/sid-ia32/lib/ld-2.3.2.so ld-linux.so.2

Because the file was already present.

- in the section "Running applications inside the chroot (e.g. OpenOffice.org"
I found it confusing in which /etc/fstab to add the lines, but picked the
right one, because later it states "At this point ... . Change to your
chroot...".

I think this is confusing because I still was in chroot for the previous
section...

- when I tried to install openoffice, it turned out that having testing in
my /etc/apt/sources.list was not enough to fullfill dependencies, and I had
to add unstable too (which is, I guess, actually a problem with the
repository and not the howto...)

- when starting openoffice, it showed a window, but without menu's and no
buttons... after asking on #debian-amd64 (thanx to those again who helped) I
learned that locales was not installed by default, and that I had to install
some font packages... after installing ttf-bitstream-vera and
x-ttcidfont-conf... (I installed these at the same time, so not sure which of
those as actually the important one...) ... openoffice was working.

I'm not sure whether these differences are important or typical to my machine,
but they might be added to the howto (in some sort of way...) to help others?

Again, many thanx to the port *and* the howto.

Egon