Re: Status of debian-amd64 after sarge release

Johan Groth wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> >Jan Houstek wrote:
> >>
> >>That's good news. Any chance this port will become a part of the official
> >>stable in some future release (Sarge 3.1 r1, r2 ...)?
> >
> >I don't think so.
>
> Then I have a (maybe a stupid) question. What is the point of doing this
> port if it is never going to be part of a stable release?

It won't go out in Sarge.  But it should go out in Etch.  Etch is the
next release after Sarge.

Because Ubuntu is based on Debian all of this work is directly
benefiting that project.  And they have released amd64 and are
supporting it.  Therefore if you need a released and supported
environment for amd64 then Ubuntu is probably the answer.

However I am sticking with "pure" Debian for the moment.  I have not
yet given up on it.  I am using everyone's work hosted on Alioth.  I
will probably deploy an unofficial 'Sarge' on amd64 in a production
environment.  Eventually an official Debian 'Etch' will replace it.

Bob