Re: /emul can be used as chrootrg

A. P. Kennedy wrote:
> Thank you sir! I started doing that. Now to get VMWare running and I
> will be ready to rock and roll.
>
> I was concerned about over writing the original emul deb, but I guess
> that is not a worry.

Wait!  Hold on!  Pause a minute!  If you have ia32-libs installed then
you do not have a chroot installed.  It's one or the other.  This is
documented in the amd64 howto.

  https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html

The two common choices.

  1) Use ia32-libs (referenced as "The quick way" in the howto).

  2) Use a chroot (referenced as "Installing a Debian IA32 chroot
     system" in the howto.

When you are talking about about a chroot you are talking about option
number 2) and not option number 1).

The problem with starting with 1) above and then overwriting files
there is the same as any other time you overwrite files managed by the
pakcage manager.  It may come along later and overwrite what you are
doing.  Remove the package first (dpkg --purge ia32-libs) before
switching over to the chroot installation documented in the howto.

Bob