Re: K8S Pro (S2882UG3NR) + Sil 3114 (Raid 1) + Sarge

On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 08:28:35PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Isn't *all* real h/w RAID "just secret proprietary software" on
> the RAID controller?  Whether it be in flash or an EEPROM, real
> h/w RAID controllers have a dedicated (usually specialized) CPU
> for handling the RAID calculations, SCSI commands, RAM cache, etc.
>
> Thats why when you call up IBM, HP or Sun with a disk-related issue,
> they ask you if your SCSI cards & RAID controllers are at the latest
> ROM version.

Well software raid is defined as raid that does the calculations in
software (on your cpu), while hardware raid does the calculations using
custom circuitry or a dedicated cpu running some software (firmware).

If I have to waste cpu time on raid, I at least want to be able to see
the code running on my cpu and perhaps be able to improve on it.  That
is the difference.