Re: Working ia32-linux chroot image

Bob Proulx wrote:

Peter Nelson wrote:
After a bit of tweaking I've gotten what I think is the smallest
chroot that will still allow you to use apt-get and dpkg.

You did not say but what was the final amount of disk space that you
were able to reduce your minimum system down to?  My barebones
debootstrap install is around 110MB.  But of course after I install
various libraries and packages such as mozilla-firefox and
openoffice.org the size is much larger.  (I am running the 32-bit web
browsers to allow me to use 32-bit binary plugins.  And similar
reasons for openoffice.org.)
The compressed size is 20mb and it extracts out to ~70mb but it balloons up to ~100mb once you do the first `apt-get update` and it builds the package lists. My current chroot is ~200mb after installing a bunch of libraries for mplayer.

Since it took me a while to build (debian depends don't work when
you're removing half the base system)
Does this statement mean that depends is broken in the resulting
image?  Or only that it was difficult to get to the result because of
the dependencies?
Depends work in the resulting image. My problem was that packages only depend of binarys required to run the program, not side programs that are called. At first I just installed bash, apt, and dpkg with their direct dependencies. Dpkg ran but couldn't install anything because it calls tar and gzip and some packages use grep or perl in their install scripts, but don't depend on them. Overall I think this only shows up when doing as minimal of an install as I did so I don't think it's worth the effort to fix.

I've decided to share it.  You can download a tar.bz with
instructions on how to use it from my site here:

<http://rufus.hackish.org/wiki/I386Chroot>
Thanks for sharing your work.
No problem, thanks for the feedback,
-Peter