Re: Asus K8V - acpi/cpufreq

Sebastian Steinlechner wrote:

I don't know about fan speed - both /proc/acpi/thermal_zone and
/proc/acpi/fan are empty here, so I have no idea how to get the
necessary information. On the other hand, the K8V bios has a "Q-Fan
control" option that's supposed to do fan throttling. However, I don't
know what thermal trip points it uses so I'm a bit worried to turn it
on...
I have only experience with the Asus A8V board, but I expect it to be similar wrt. Q-FAN and Fan Throttling to the K8V board.

My experience is that Q-FAN is useless. It's lowest voltage is 11/16*12 8 volt which it way too high for Fan (Using water cooling with a big radiator). Like you, I cannot find any information on trip points other that for The P4, which runs at much higher temperatures than the AMD64.

Fans are not controlled through ACPI (AFAIK, only notebooks uses this).
However, lm-sensors let you control the fan speeds from userspace.
To use this, you should install the lm-sensors package, and paste the following lines into /etc/modules:

# I2C adapter drivers
i2c-isa
# I2C chip drivers
w83627hf

(Or run sensors-detect, which will probe for the chip installed on you motherboard, and instruct you how to install the correct modules). To see if it worked, try running the program 'sensors' which will print out temperatures, voltages and fan speeds.

When the modules are loaded, the fans are set to full throttle, clearing the BIOS Q-FAN settings. To control the fans, write an integer in the range [0;240] to /sys/bus/i2c/devices/<id>/fan[n]_pwm, where 'id' is the id of the chip (usually there is only one directory), and 'n' is the number of your fan (usually between 1 and 3). E.g.

echo 0 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0290/fan2_pwm

to stop fan 2 (my case fan). use 240 for full throttle.

Instead of controlling the fan speed manually, I the use the program 'fancontrol' (/usr/sbin/fancontrol) which is part of the lm-sensors package. The program is a simple shell script which adjusts the fan speeds based on CPU/MB temperature. It can be configured through the program /usr/sbin/pwmconfig. See /usr/share/doc/lm-sensors/doc/fancontrol.txt for more information.

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help!

In search of a low noise setup, I found that my AMD64 3500+ accepts much lower core voltage than the specified 1.55 V. Without overclocking it runs stable at 2GHz (PowerNow disabled, as it does not let me control the core voltage) using a core voltage of 1.30, and thus running much cooler (If anyone knows how to control the core voltage using powernow, I would be happy).

Hope it helps.
Anders Fugmann