Re: gcc-3.4 ready?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:08:38PM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Andreas Jochens wrote:
> >As for stability, I am using the packages from the amd64/gcc-3.4 archive
> >myself on three machines (on my main desktop and on two servers) since a
> >few weeks without any problems. From my own experience I would say
> >that the stability is almost the same as for i386/unstable.
> >

> You should mention the sources.list for this. AFAIK its
>
> deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4/ unstable main non-free
> contrib
> deb-src http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4/ unstable main
> non-free contrib
>
> Regards
>
> Harri

<newbie alert>

Is it possible to install from gcc-3.4 using one of the debian
installers, or do you have to do a debootstrap or cdebootstrap
(which?) into a chroot and go from there?

The netinst ISO here:

	http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/install-images/

is large enough that I'd guess it installs some packages of its own,
and they wouldn't be gcc-3.4 packages, which would be bad.

The netboot and monolithic ISOs are small enough that I'd guess they
don't install their own packages, but they are reported not to work
with the gcc-3.4 archive because it only has sid, not
testing/unstable, which the ISOs require.

I've read the AMD64 HOWTO and other docs, and searched the lists, but
couldn't find an answer.  Is there an installer specific to the
gcc-3.4 archive?  What is the recommended method of installing it?

A thousand thanks,

--Pete