Re: amd64/gcc-3.4 archive: multilib/-m32 support available (compilation of 32bit i386-binaries)

Andreas Jochens <aj@andaco.de> writes:

> On 04-Aug-11 02:57, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Andreas Jochens <aj@andaco.de> writes:
>>
>> > The amd64/gcc-3.4 archive (http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/gcc-3.4)
>> > finally supports the compilation and linking of 32bit i386 binaries
>> > using the gcc '-m32' switch. The gcc-3.4 package in the amd64/gcc-3.4
>> > archive has been recompiled with the '--enable-multilib' option
>> > which causes all the necessary libraries and files for 32bit i386
>> > development with gcc to be created.
>>
>> Now you have messed up the pure64 archive with packages only planned
>> for multiarch.
>>
>> Gratulations, one step further from a 3.4 based sarge.
>
> ???
>
> I did not upload anything to the pure64 archive. I uploaded the mulitlib

The pure64/gcc-3.4 archive.

> packages only to the amd64/gcc-3.4 archive. However, why would you
> oppose the addition of extra functionality? I was careful not to change
> any of the fundamental assumptions of the current amd64 port.
> I even made extra efforts to write the patches in a manner that ensures
> that the pure64/gcc-3.3 archive is not affected at all. The extra 32bit
> packages will not be created from the gcc-3.4 and glibc package if
> gcc-3.3 is the default compiler.
> I just wanted to be able to compile packages like 'grub' natively on
> amd64 (and maybe do some general 32bit legacy development on amd64
> myself). I fail to see what is wrong with that.
>
> Regards
> Andreas Jochens

I'm opposing any patches getting added to sarge (compared to debians
sarge). Your patch goes beyond what could still be added to debians
sarge and way beyond what could be added to base+standard packages
(which glibc is). One reason for this is so that security updates will
build cleanly without human intervention needed.

It adds two more reasons not to use gcc-3.4 for sarge amd64.

And with sarge being 3.3 the main pure64 port will stay 3.3 since
there is no upgrade path to 3.4 (yet).

MfG
        Goswin