Re: Gigabyte K8NS

> There is support for ICS 1893 in drivers/net/sis900.c.
> Maybe its related?

That would be my best guess as well. I can't find any reference to
anything before 1890 in ICS's own datasheet index:

http://www.icst.com/pdf/

Further, the BSD driver icsphy refers to 1890 and its derivatives.

The only references to 1883 on Google are concerning Gigabyte
motherboards so it's possible that Gigabyte got the number wrong on
their product description.

So try 'modprobe sis900' or recompile your kernel with that driver
enabled.