Re: upgrade from testing i386 to amd64

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 05:48:56PM +0200, Thomas J. Zeeman wrote:
> > Are there any problems I may enounter?
>
> With i386 on an amd64 system any problem encountered is probably also a
> problem on a real i386 system.
> Do note that(AFAIK) you won't be able to use the extra registers, memory
> address space and NX-bit in i386-mode.

 i386 Linux recently got support for the NX bit.  (You've probably heard all
the fuss about windoze getting super-virus-protection.  The NX bit is what
it uses to do that.)  The extra registers are what makes AMD64 faster in
64bit mode, and you're right about them not being available in i386 mode.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
Peter Cordes ;  e-mail: X(peter@cor , des.ca)