Re: An AMD64 or my (or your) dreams - what to buy?

Chris Cheney wrote:

The only major motherboard component that I know of that is currently
unsupported is the Promise sata plus controller's pata port. There are
also a few minor problems with some of the AMD64 laptops, but most of
their issues have been resolved in the 2.6.7 kernel.

There seems to be an issue with the Silicon Image SATA together
with some huge capacity harddisks. Check

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.2/1821.html

I have such a chip in my PC, but by now there wasn't a problem.

I would stay away from nvidia based motherboards, but that is just due
to their general lack of open source support. I stopped buying anything
from them about 4 years ago.

Monday I've got a Shuttle SN85G4V2 (nforce3 inside). By now there was
no need to install Nvidia's drivers, but I did not check the sound
hardware yet. Its pretty quiet.

Regards

Harri