Re: Opteron support in dpkg

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, John Goerzen wrote:

> I agree.  Let's look at some of the arguments that have been raised
> recently:
>
>  * amd64 ties it to AMD, but we expect Intel to release a compatible
>    processor as well.
>
>    This does not seem to have bothered us when dealing with i386, which
>    is Intel's chosen name, as opposed to K7 or others that have
>    developed extensions to Intel's specs.  If AMD designed the spec,
>    I see no reason to avoid giving them credit just as we have done
>    with Intel or others.  Besides, this is the chosen name for the
>    platform.
>
>    The fact that AMD released i386-compatible CPUs didn't lead anyone
>    to suggest renaming i386 to x86 or ia32.  In fact, the existance of
>    AMD's compatible CPUs predated the existance of Debian itself.
>
>  * x86-64 corresponds better with GNU tools and the kernel.
>
>    No, it doesn't.  They use the underscore.  The ensuing confusion
>    promises to be worse.
>
>    Besides, GNU tools often say i486 for our i386 distro.
>
>  * We could use the underscore later.
>
>    That means switching our name twice more.  A huge pain.  Plus, we
>    don't even know if that is the case.
>
>  * Others use x86-64.
>
>    No, they use x86_64.  Actually, plenty of others use amd64, including
>    Gentoo, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Mandrake, and some other smaller distros.
>
>  * Renaming is easy.
>
>    As Goswin has pointed out, it's not all that easy and in fact is
>    quite time-consuming.
>
> I am all for amd64.

not that my opinion matters, but x86-64.org changed to amd64.org -
obviously for some sort of reason. couldn't that be used as some sort of
sign to get everything aligned to that? freebsd calls it amd64 (as does
netbsd) already.

i believe the intel compatible systems will be using the "64-bit extension
technology" which would then mean x86-64 (or _64) might make more sense.
but as other folks have said before, AMD has been under the i386/x86 style
banner created by intel a long time ago, perhaps for these hybrid 32/64
bit platforms, intel will have to buck up and live under the "amd64"
banner.

to sum it up, i agree with John's final line. it needs to be finalized now
before there's 3 different styles of it floating around, and with sites
like x86-64.org already announcing they've changed to amd64.org, i think
that shows the proper direction to move.

- mike