Re: Get rid of the lib64 dir?

* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx <Q@ping.be> writes:
> > Is there any reason why would we want to have a "lib64" dir on
> > amd64?
>
> Its the standard dir for any 64bit library on amd64. (As set in the
> FSH, multiarch proposals and the major linux distributions [Debian,
> SuSe and RH]).

Erm, the latest multiarch proposal for Debian doesn't use lib64,
thankfully.  It's a broken idea to begin with, really.

> > What do you people think about fixing all sources to get rid of
> > the lib64 dirs for amd64?
>
> Its a very bad idea since we would loose compatibilty with other linux
> distributions and with upstream sources.
>
> We had this discussion in the past and we pretty much all agreed that
> /lib64 is ugly. But there is nothing we can do about it short of
> getting the FSH and everyone else changed. Its a bit late in the game
> to change it.

That doesn't mean we have to really use it.  In fact, we're not
intending to, we'll put a symlink in there for compatibility with FHS
and company since that's the path for the linker.  That's it though.

	Stephen