Re: Debian installer [Was: Re: Support for amd64 on ftp.debian.org?]

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:14:51PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | Furthermore DI needs devfs in a couple of places, it was designed
> | around it. The partitioner for example uses it to find the disks.
> | Without devfs, DI simply is non-functional.
>
> That's not quite true.  The m68k people need to use a 2.2 kernel
> (hence no devfs), and have hacked their way around it.

Well, we might be able to create a DI then, but IMHO this leads us to a
dead road: we would hack scripts we will not use anymore as soon as DI
is 2.6 enabled, having to redo the work then.

Are we willing to do it for the sake of a nearly-immediate available DI?

We could indeed create a 2.4 DI which opts to install a 2.6 kernel, how
about this? Would be only a problem if the disk subsystem is not
supported by 2.4 (most SATA chipsets come to mind) or the other way
round (like dpt_i2o based adaptec raid controllers).

CU
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG