Re: Moving along Pure64

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:38:21AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need a few things to happen to get pure64 going better.
>
> At the top of the list is a gcc that can build 32- and 64-bit binaries
> but defaults to 64-bit mode.  This is more difficult than it may appear
> at first.

I think it can do that.  I think the only problem is that it
can't link because it doesn't have any 32 bit libs to link to.

> I'm hoping to spend some time next week to revitalize the autobuilders,
> get a better repository in place, etc.  But it's pretty clear that we
> need that gcc...  here's your chance to help :-)

I've been trying to compile gcc myself too.  I have a few
problems with it:

- It generated "lib" and "lib64" dirs and then tried to find what
  he put in lib64 in lib.  I work around this would stopping it
  temporary and move everthing in one dir and symlink them.  I
  have no idea how to really fix this.
- We have no ada compiler so we have to disable support for it in
  rules.defs.
- We probably also have to disable multilib else it's trying to
  build 32 bit too, but I'm not really sure.
- It also fails somewhere packaging gcc-3.3, it was missing some
  file but can't remember which.

Any help on any of those problems is always welcome.

Kurt