Re: [Fwd: Re: my new superdesktop...]

> Comments, updates?

Ive had no problem with software availability except from that of
flash but I didn't had flash installed on my older athlon box. As for
java, things work the same as in other debian ports: look for
blackdown java packages. They are easy to install and java is working
flawlesly here.

> Understanding that my main use will be a terminal server, I'm kinda
> regretting not getting a dual Xeon for just a nice robust 32 bit box
> that runs everything and gives me lots of choices.  Even though I've
> really come to like Debian, the AMD64 port is difficult to install when

Mmm my experiences are: Fedora Core 2 didn't boot my  system (the same
goes for SuSE, but i was able to solve this problem with suse, but
then i found that SuSE was a bit unstable. The first Linux i got to
work here properly was Gentoo, the second one Debian. The installer
worked perfectly. I love Debian installer and debootstrap, it let's
you install debian in every machine on every situation.

> compared to Redhat based x86-64 or Suse distro's and it won't be
> released into "stable" for at least a couple more years, a snails pace
> compared to other Linux distro's release schedule.

I'ts just a mather of names. Soon you will be able to choose between
Debian Sid and the new testing (i can't remember wich name it's gona
get) or in other words, top noch versions, or a more conservative,
more stable and up to date version. I think almost anyone uses stable
(aka woody and soon sarge) for a desktop system. And by the way,
testing and even unstable from debian are more stable than fedora and
mandrake.
If still in doubt, use ubuntu.

> The only reason, IMHO, to run out and grab a AMD64 platform today is for
> simulation or some other VERY computationally intensive task, like a

Or because you don't want to waste money buying some old fashioned
technology. I've found AMD64 to be a good alternative to pentiums
either in price and in  performance. So I've bought it for normal
desktop use (music, videos, a bit of ripping, latex editing, some
mathematic calculus, and from time to time to program in java, c or
python).

> QualNet Network Simulation, high end database server or something.
> Interested in hearing others' experiences along these lines.

If you are not shure about 64 bits, you can stilluse it in 32 bit
mode. Performance difference is not quite noticeable for desktop use.
(Although in a near future, it will make the difference).

I'm proud of my machine, the only one thing i dislike is my graphic
accelerator... an ATI (poor silly of me). This pice of crap is not
going to have support for linux amd64 never!!! And when it has, it
will be so poor that cheaper cards from other vendors will outperform
you... ahhhh that really was like throwing my money to trash.

Those are my experiences with my amd64
Aritz Beraza [Rei]
--
Aritz Beraza Garayalde [Rei]